Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Letter to Charlie

Dear Charles,

Happy first birthday! I am so lucky to have you in my life. I'll be honest with you. Before you came I was sure that I would fail at being a mother. Kids frustrated me. I never knew what to say or do around them. I always felt so awkward, like children could see right through me. I had faith, however, that children of my own would be different. You have proved that to be true time and again. Being your mother has come so naturally to me. I feel like I always know what to do or say to make you light up. I feel much more confident in myself because of you. I know that as you continue to learn and grow I will be able to teach you. I've never felt that way before. Thank you for being such a positive light in my life.

You have the funniest sense of humor. Even for only being one year old you know what makes me laugh, and you really do try to make me laugh all the time. I love that you tickle my feet and tell me jokes. I love your fake laugh that always turns into a real giggle as soon as I start laughing. It seems like your goal so far in life has been to brighten my days.

You also have such a sweet character. You are kind and gentle, and you are always so happy. Many times throughout your life people have comented on how well behaved you are, and how happy you seem to be, even on occasions where you have been in the worst mood. I'm glad that even your bad moods can brighten somebody's day.

Your appreciation for music melts my heart. I love that you will stop everything and listen when there is music playing. You even try to sing along some times. You have such a sweet voice when you try to sing. Please keep singing. Continue loving music. It is such an important part of life.

Charles you have truely changed my life for the better. I have such a strong desire to be healthy and strong, so that I can keep up with you when you start running around. I also strive to be better spiritually every day. I know that my role in teaching you the gospel is so important. I pray and study so much harder because you are with me. I want to be able to answer your questions. I want to teach you about the Gospel of Jesus Christ in a way that you will fully understand his sacrifice for us.

Charles I love you so much. I feel so blessed to have you in my life. I know that you were sent to us exactly when we needed you the most. I hope you have a wonderful birthday! I so look forward to all of your birthdays to come.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful letter Karen. I think you are such an awesome person and you inspire me to be better just by reading your beautiful thoughts. Charles is a very lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete